Thursday, November 10, 2011

What's the best source of energy for a very sunny country? Wind, of course! Wait... what?

     When I first started this blog, I said that I was going to write about many sources of renewable energy. I said this partly because I wanted to explore the many different types, but it was also because I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough material if I chose only one. But I have been pleasantly surprised at how much solar info is out there! I've had much more to write about than I initially expected. My reason for saying all of that, though, is that I am switching gears a little bit (finally) to talk about wind energy. 
     I was reading on the Celsias website again and came across an article entitled "Sunny Egypt Interested in... Wind Power." As hot, sunny, and desert-y as Egypt is, one might expect them to utilize solar energy. But recently, they have decided to increase wind's current 1% contribution to 12% by 2020. Apparently, Egypt is actually a good place for wind power. The article says, "Jonathan Walters, transport and energy manager for the World Bank's Middle East and North Africa regions, said that 'high and persistent' winds in the Gulf of Suez suggest Egypt has 'excellent potential for wind power - among the best in the world.'" 
     The Egyptians built a wind farm, called Zafarana, in 2001 and last year it generated 1,147 gigawatt hours of electricity. They are presently trying to get more funding to build an even bigger wind farm (a 1,000 megawatt). 

2 comments:

  1. It's not what you would expect, but if you think about the high cost of installing solar panels and the technology to go with it, wind seems like a viable option for Egypt! I also don't really think much about Africa being interested in renewable energy. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from Le_Meridian Funding Service She introduced me to this honest loan company who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@outlook.com lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com, they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this company and be saved.WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete